Although not all friendship rings require engraving, this is certainly a type of jewelry that benefits from a clear statement that expresses the wearer’s sentiments or serves to remind about the occasion of its purchase. There are some design elements that emphasize the idea of friendship: the heart, the clasping hands of a claddagh ring, matching gems or birthstones etc. Apart from that, friendship rings very often bear engraved inscriptions and I am happy to make some suggestions that may help you design your own custom rings or search for rings with particular inscriptions available through retailers. As usual, I try to provide Latin versions of these friendship quotes, since I believe that Latin (along with occasional French) is a language well-suited for jewelry engraving.
- FRIENDSHIP (AMICITIA ) – Perhaps the most common inscription on friendship rings.
- FRIEND (AMICUS masc., AMICA fem.)
- FRIENDS (AMICI masc., AMICAE fem.)
- BEST FRIEND (AMICUS OPTIMUS masc., AMICA OPTIMA fem.)
- BEST FRIENDS FOREVER (AMICI OPTIMI IN AETERNUM masc., AMICAE OPTIMAE IN AETERNUM fem.)
- A FRIEND IS A SECOND SELF (ALTER IPSE AMICUS)
- HE IS A TRUE FRIEND, WHO, UNDER DOUBTFUL CIRCUMSTANCES, AIDS IN DEED WHEN DEEDS ARE NECESSARY (IS EST AMICUS QUI IN RE DUBIA RE JUVAT, UBI RE EST OPUS) – A quote from Plautus
- I SPARE NO EXPENSE SO LONG AS I CAN SERVE MY FRIEND (NIHIL PRETIO PARCO, AMICO DUM OPITULOR)
- THERE IS NOTHING WHICH, IN MY SENSES, I SHOULD PREFER TO A DEAR FRIEND (NIL EGO CONTULERIM JOCUNDO SANUS AMICO) – A quote from Horace.
- CONSULT YOUR FRIEND ON EVERYTHING, BUT FIRST OF ALL ABOUT YOURSELF (OMNIA CUM AMICO DELIBERA, SED DE TE IPSO PRIUS) – A quote from Seneca.
- TO HAVE THE SAME TASTES AND THE SAME DISLIKES – THIS IN FACT IS THE BASIS OF LASTING FRIENDSHIP (IDEM VELLE ET IDEM NOLLE EA DEMUM FIRMA AMICITIA EST) – A quote from Sallust.
- A LITTLE PLEDGE OF NO LITTLE FRIENDSHIP (PARVUM NON PARVAE AMICITIAE PIGNUS) – This motto seems perfect for a gift to a friend or a friendship ring!
It must be added that the quotes from Ancient authors always sound better in their original language rather than in translation. Also, some people simply choose to engrave their names on friendship rings. Good luck with your engraved rings and your friendships!
Promise Rings: History and Meaning
Friendship quotes in Latin
If you are looking for a completely new approach to ring engravings, how about runic quotes in Old Norse.
Here is the link:
Runic Love Quotes
All you need to find is a service that makes ring engravings from image files (jpg etc). I know for fact that there are many websites that do exactly that. Then you can surprise you beautiful Norwegian girldfriend with a ring inscription that she may not be able to read, but which will definitely warm up her cold Nordic heart.
There is apparently quite a large selection of rings that have Roman numerals engraved on them. I am presently at a loss regarding the meaning and significance of this engraved message. As one seller of Roman numeral rings quite simple-mindedly acknowledged: “Don’t worry about trying to figure out what roman numerals are on this ring, just trust us when we tell you they look cool.”
Still, what does this mean? This can represent the idea of time (the numerals are I-XII), combined with the idea of eternity (a very persistant symbolic interpretation of a ring). 12, of course, is also the number of apostles, but I do not see much religious significance in this design. There may be other forms of numerology in place here. Some of the less insane sounding interpretations are:
- Twelve is the number of something that is complete and forms a whole, a perfect and harmonious unit. In ancient civilizations, this number corresponds to the idea of plenitude, completion and integrity of a thing.
- Number 12 is a symbol of material and spiritual food, because of the 12 breads which Jesus Christ broke at the Last Supper, Himself being the Bread of Life.
- 12 symbolizes power and the Good, and governs both space and time, that is to say the operation of the Cosmos, hence its designation as a “cosmic number”. http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu12.php)
Roman Numerals: Charts, Tips, History
This continues the theme of unique wedding bands for guys who ordinarily would not be caught dead wearing any sort of jewelry. Black is an unusual color for a wedding ring (or any ring, for that matter). It is, however, a color that can be made to look very stylish and attractive. Titanium itself is becoming a very valid choice for wedding rings, as in this Black Satin Finish Wedding Ring.
Wikipedia has this to say about titanium and its use in jewelry making: “Because of its durability, titanium has become more popular for designer jewelry in recent years, whereas until recently the metal was too difficult to work into the intricate shapes with the precision necessary for fine jewelry. Today, titanium rings — including engagement rings and wedding bands — are one of the fastest growing segments of the titanium jewelry market,in part due to the ability of the metal to be grooved, inlaid, and carved without losing strength. Some titanium jewelry also incorporates diamonds or other gemstones, typically in close settings such as bezels, flush, or tension designs. Its inertness again makes it a good choice for those with allergies or those who will be wearing the jewelry in environments such as swimming pools.”
This should explain well enough that the novelty of titanium as a preferred material for wedding rings is largely due to the metal’s qualities. Prior to the recent years titanium simply was to difficult to deal with in consumer products. But the same exact qualities have now made titanium a desirable metal when it comes to the piece of jewelry that most people (even men) wear everyday. Titanium is durable, scratch-resistant and it can be just as attractive as gold or platinum.