Although not all friendship rings require engraving, this is certainly a type of jewelry that benefits from a clear statement that expresses the wearer’s sentiments or serves to remind about the occasion of its purchase. There are some design elements that emphasize the idea of friendship: the heart, the clasping hands of a claddagh ring, matching gems or birthstones etc. Apart from that, friendship rings very often bear engraved inscriptions and I am happy to make some suggestions that may help you design your own custom rings or search for rings with particular inscriptions available through retailers. As usual, I try to provide Latin versions of these friendship quotes, since I believe that Latin (along with occasional French) is a language well-suited for jewelry engraving.
- FRIENDSHIP (AMICITIA ) – Perhaps the most common inscription on friendship rings.
- FRIEND (AMICUS masc., AMICA fem.)
- FRIENDS (AMICI masc., AMICAE fem.)
- BEST FRIEND (AMICUS OPTIMUS masc., AMICA OPTIMA fem.)
- BEST FRIENDS FOREVER (AMICI OPTIMI IN AETERNUM masc., AMICAE OPTIMAE IN AETERNUM fem.)
- A FRIEND IS A SECOND SELF (ALTER IPSE AMICUS)
- HE IS A TRUE FRIEND, WHO, UNDER DOUBTFUL CIRCUMSTANCES, AIDS IN DEED WHEN DEEDS ARE NECESSARY (IS EST AMICUS QUI IN RE DUBIA RE JUVAT, UBI RE EST OPUS) – A quote from Plautus
- I SPARE NO EXPENSE SO LONG AS I CAN SERVE MY FRIEND (NIHIL PRETIO PARCO, AMICO DUM OPITULOR)
- THERE IS NOTHING WHICH, IN MY SENSES, I SHOULD PREFER TO A DEAR FRIEND (NIL EGO CONTULERIM JOCUNDO SANUS AMICO) – A quote from Horace.
- CONSULT YOUR FRIEND ON EVERYTHING, BUT FIRST OF ALL ABOUT YOURSELF (OMNIA CUM AMICO DELIBERA, SED DE TE IPSO PRIUS) – A quote from Seneca.
- TO HAVE THE SAME TASTES AND THE SAME DISLIKES – THIS IN FACT IS THE BASIS OF LASTING FRIENDSHIP (IDEM VELLE ET IDEM NOLLE EA DEMUM FIRMA AMICITIA EST) – A quote from Sallust.
- A LITTLE PLEDGE OF NO LITTLE FRIENDSHIP (PARVUM NON PARVAE AMICITIAE PIGNUS) – This motto seems perfect for a gift to a friend or a friendship ring!
It must be added that the quotes from Ancient authors always sound better in their original language rather than in translation. Also, some people simply choose to engrave their names on friendship rings. Good luck with your engraved rings and your friendships!
Promise Rings: History and Meaning
Friendship quotes in Latin
Just found out this. The wife of Poland’s President Lech Kaczynski wore an engraved wedding ring. The inscription contained her husband’s name. The ring helped identify the body of the First Lady after the horrific plain crash. I was unable to find out whether the inscription was made on the outside or on the inside of the ring.
I have previously discussed the many ways of inscribing wedding rings. Typically this involves using names, mottos, Bible verses and short poems. Here is yet another idea that just may be perfect for some couples.
The idea of “our song” is a well-known phenomenon. Many couples have a song that they associate with some memorable moment in their lives. Very often this song is played during the wedding as the newly married couple dances to it (this is a memorable moment in its own right, of course). Now, wouldn’t it be clever to have the lines from this song engraved on the wedding rings? You can either go with one line or the entire text of the lyrics. If musical notation means something to you, the notes can be also very beautifully displayed on the ring.
I assume that this idea would also work for certain types of promise rings.
Engraved Wedding Rings: Helpful Ideas for Couples
There is apparently quite a large selection of rings that have Roman numerals engraved on them. I am presently at a loss regarding the meaning and significance of this engraved message. As one seller of Roman numeral rings quite simple-mindedly acknowledged: “Don’t worry about trying to figure out what roman numerals are on this ring, just trust us when we tell you they look cool.”
Still, what does this mean? This can represent the idea of time (the numerals are I-XII), combined with the idea of eternity (a very persistant symbolic interpretation of a ring). 12, of course, is also the number of apostles, but I do not see much religious significance in this design. There may be other forms of numerology in place here. Some of the less insane sounding interpretations are:
- Twelve is the number of something that is complete and forms a whole, a perfect and harmonious unit. In ancient civilizations, this number corresponds to the idea of plenitude, completion and integrity of a thing.
- Number 12 is a symbol of material and spiritual food, because of the 12 breads which Jesus Christ broke at the Last Supper, Himself being the Bread of Life.
- 12 symbolizes power and the Good, and governs both space and time, that is to say the operation of the Cosmos, hence its designation as a “cosmic number”. http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu12.php)
Roman Numerals: Charts, Tips, History
Let’s take a look an another popular ring design that is predominantly popular among men: tire rings. As it can be clearly seen in the Men’s Stainless Steel Tire Ring pictured here, these rings are fashioned after the familiar look of a car tire. The engraved treads (like the ones you see on the wheel of a car, a truck or a motorcycle) go all around the ring, and the shiny tire detail stands out against the brushed surface.
Stainless steel is a very manly material, of course. It is also among the materials that are becoming increasingly popular in jewelry making. As one would imagine, tire rings are appropriate for most men, because most me love cars, own cars and often take pride in them. It is generally a very masculine design, as I said. Needless to say, an engraved tire ring is even more appropriate for guys (and gals!) who spend a lot of time behind the wheel and make their living driving trucks, taxi’s and so on.
And don’t forget that tire rings can also be engraved on the inside, adding another level of personalization and significance. You can engrave the name of the owner, the favorite car make or model, a monogram or a simple motto. May I say that if the ring wearer happens to prefer Volvo the brand name also serves as a motto, because this word means “I roll” in Latin.
Also, in some very extreme cases a tire ring may be the only ring that a guy would agree to wear. Well, since treaded rings are very discreet in their appearance you can use them for your wedding ceremony 🙂